This printed article is located at https://mbsb.listedcompany.com/about_company_profile.html
MBSB History in Brief
The origin of Malaysia Building Society Berhad (MBSB) can be traced back to the Federal and Colonial Building Society Limited incorporated in 1950. In 1956, it changed its name to Malaya Borneo Building Society Limited (MBBS), with the Malaysian government as its major shareholder.
MBBS was then listed on the Stock Exchange of Malaya and Singapore in August 1963. The company became an incorporation in Malaysia under the Companies Act 1965 on 17 March 1970, before it was listed on the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange now Bursa Malaysia on 14 March 1972. The Employees Provident Fund (EPF) is currently the financial holding company of MBSB.
MBSB is 'an Exempt Finance Company'
MBSB was defined as a Scheduled Institution under the repealed Banking and Financial Institution Act 1989 (BAFIA). The status of an Exempt Finance Company was granted to MBSB on 1 March 1972 by the Ministry of Finance and the status has remained since. This allows MBSB to undertake a financing business in the absence of a banking license.
Under Section 272 (a) of the Financial Services Act 2013, exemptions granted under the BAFIA are deemed to have been granted under the corresponding provision of the Financial Services Act 2013 and shall remain in full force and effect until amended or revoked. As a financial provider, MBSB offers a spectrum of innovative financial products and services for both individuals and corporates throughout its branches nationwide.
MBSB Corporate Highlights
- MBSB has been granted with an exemption under Section 7(4) of the Borrowing Companies Act 1969 (BCA).
- As a result of the change from BCA to Finance Companies Act (FCA), all references to borrowing business and borrowing company were to be construed respectively as finance business and finance company.
- The FCA was later repealed by Banking and Financial Institutions Act 1989 (BAFIA)
- The BAFIA has been repealed and replaced with FSA 2013
- On 6 November 2017, MBSB entered into the Share Purchase Agreement with the shareholders of Asian Finance Bank Berhad (“AFB/Vendors”) for the proposed acquisition by MBSB of the entire equity interest in AFB for an aggregate purchase consideration of RM644,952,807.66 to be satisfied by way of cash amounting to RM396,894,036.26 and the issuance of 225,507,974 Consideration Shares at an issue price of RM1.10 per Consideration Share (“the Acquisition”).
- The Acquisition was approved by the shareholders of MBSB on 23rd January 2018. The shareholders also approved the transfer of Shariah Compliant Assets and Liabilities of MBSB to AFB via a Members’ Scheme of Arrangement.
- Pursuant to the abovesaid approval and upon completion of the transfer of shares and the payment of the balance of the purchase consideration to the Vendors , AFB became a wholly owned subsidiary of MBSB on 7 February 2018.